So yes, I am a sucker for harmonicas. But I mean c'mon! Harmonicas are a pretty badass instrument to play. You can literally carry it around in your back pocket, and if anyone asks you if you have a talent, you can just whip it out! ...the harmonica, that is. Oh you mean THIS harmonica? Ta-da. Done and done. Great parlor trick. I myself am determined to learn it...tomorrow. Or maybe a few days after that. Either way, I've known about this song since about December now, and I love tossing it on when I'm doing hw or driving at night. Something very relaxing about it, besides the whole lyrics being fairly centered around the whole idea of death. Who knew death could sound so pretty? Dallas Green did. And he knew it well.
Singer and guitarist Dallas Green is a Canada native and member of indie hardcore band Alexisonfire. After listening to the video below, you'll notice he made quite the transition across genres. Nothing too hardcore about this. In fact, under his recording alias of City and Colour, Green has stripped himself down to the bare minimum - an acoustic guitar and a standard harmonica. The song below, "Body in a Box", has a great shuffle about it. Something crisp and airy, but carries some meaning to it. As I said, definitely more of an upbeat rhythm than I would have expected given the lyrics, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Culprit:
The Mission:
This blog is for everyone. The metal-heads, the banjo-pickers, the free spirits, the classic rock groupies, the alternative thinkers; everyone deserves a say, and everyone should bask in the limelight. I will be updating this blog as often as possible to bring you the music I have discovered, as well as the music that others have discovered. Do you want to be a part? All you have to do is comment! Have some music that you'd like to see shared? Just email me your latest and greatest and I'll be sure to post it for all to see!
What type of music would you like to see posted here more often?
Share it with everyone!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(18)
-
▼
June
(13)
- Conquistadors in the Middle East
- Silly You, And You Thought Beirut Was Just A Game
- Aurora Borea-listen!
- Passion Fruit Smoothies In A Pit Of Dispair
- Gather Round For A Geography Lesson
- Oh, Those Towering Swedes And Their Folk
- Don Yer Earmuff Headphones, It's Here
- Cage the Wild Noise!
- Pornographers + Ninjas = Great Success!
- Why Close Up Shop Now?
- B Side: Shin Splints
- A Side: Spittin' Slickers
- So what is this, and why should you care?
-
▼
June
(13)

2 comments:
Holy bargain basements Batman! This Dallas Green guy is just awesome. While folky singer/songwriter tunes fit in with hardcore music about as well as George Bush at Burning Man, the point is moot given how good he is. And Jesus H. Christ is this guy good. Did I already say he's good? He's really good. Anyways, this music blog is first rate- like an evolution of that radio show you and Josh used to have.
I wonder who gave you that harmonica...
Post a Comment