So in light of the sun (ignore the awful pun) that is pouring through my window as I am typing, I figured it would be suiting to add a good summertime band to kick off the season. I was actually introduced to this group last summer by one of my coworkers (thanks Megan) and will forever associate them with warm weather. Probably because I'd listen to them while driving in my air conditioning-less car in the 90 degree weather, but I digress. Today's band is Portugal. The Man. They are a psychedelic pop band based out of Wasilla, Alaska and they have a really laid back, cool style about them. They are quite the virtuosos on the piano and the mix of high male and female vocals adds an awesome vibe to their music.
At first listen, bands like the Pixies and Radiohead may come to mind, and if so, you are spot on. Portugal The Man's first few albums were actually produced by those bands' famed producer Paul Q. Kolderie. Although, their influences range vast beyond their immediately comparable brother bands and have noticeable tinges of John Lennon to MGMT. Included below are two very summery songs of theirs "The Sun" and "Everyone Is Golden", though if you are looking for any of their darker material, it's surely out there as well. So you know what to do, grab the boombox, lay out on the pavement, and let your mind and body sizzle to the summer-time tunes.
Ramble on,
AllTheFancyWicker
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Culprit:
The Mission:
This blog is for everyone. The metal-heads, the banjo-pickers, the free spirits, the classic rock groupies, the alternative thinkers; everyone deserves a say, and everyone should bask in the limelight. I will be updating this blog as often as possible to bring you the music I have discovered, as well as the music that others have discovered. Do you want to be a part? All you have to do is comment! Have some music that you'd like to see shared? Just email me your latest and greatest and I'll be sure to post it for all to see!
What type of music would you like to see posted here more often?
Share it with everyone!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(18)
-
▼
June
(13)
- Conquistadors in the Middle East
- Silly You, And You Thought Beirut Was Just A Game
- Aurora Borea-listen!
- Passion Fruit Smoothies In A Pit Of Dispair
- Gather Round For A Geography Lesson
- Oh, Those Towering Swedes And Their Folk
- Don Yer Earmuff Headphones, It's Here
- Cage the Wild Noise!
- Pornographers + Ninjas = Great Success!
- Why Close Up Shop Now?
- B Side: Shin Splints
- A Side: Spittin' Slickers
- So what is this, and why should you care?
-
▼
June
(13)

0 comments:
Post a Comment