Keeping With The Family Business

Monday, August 9, 2010
Well good evening fellow music explorers! I hope you're jonsin' for some new updates, because now that I have my beautiful, not-on-life-support, new computer, I'm hoping to keep the posts a'flowin' and introduce you to the latest music that I've came across! Once again, I apologize for the wait time between posts, but you know I can't leave you guys! So momma bird is back and looking to spoon feed her babies some of the finest new music discoveries this side of the Mississip! Which is the East coast. I cant promise it's quality anywhere over there in the West! Also, I'll be adding an RSS feed icon soon so you can keep up to speed with all the updates as well, which will hopefully make it easier for some of you who may use it. For anyone who doesn't know what an RSS feed is, it's alright, just go back to listening to Abbott and Costello on your tube radio. They just don't make em like they used to...do they? Either way, let's kick this off right! It's August and I'm still looking to power through and gather as many new artists and genres as possible before I have to also do that whole "senior year" thing. I hear I have to graduate after that. Yeah, right. Not if I can help it. I'm sure I can squeeze at least another year and a half out of it if I start failing some classes, stat. But that's a topic for another day. Instead I'd like to discuss something of much greater importance, British folk rock!

To preface this post, I want to briefly discuss my heritage. I am Irish. Very Irish actually. Not ghostly pale, flaming red-haired drunk Irish, but very Irish all the same. Maybe drunk Irish, for good measure. However, over the years I have really come to appreciate some of the traditional music that Ireland has to offer (God knows I can't come to appreciate their cuisine, Irish soda bread? Really Ireland? Goddamn!) It just gives me a real back-to-our-roots feel that seems to help connect me a bit more to the historical Irish culture and its people. Now I'm not looking to switch to steady diet of potatoes and take up step dance any time soon, but I could admit to having daydreamed about being an Irish shepherd in the green grassy hills of CĂ©ide Fields a time or two... In summary, after researching it a bit, I've definitely realized the wonderfully rich style that UK folk has to offer. It's gritty and real, yet has a very romanticized feel to it. Like living a simple life was not only acceptable, but desirable! However, I've been looking for a modern band to rise up and bring the genre back to life. Mumford & Sons does just that.

Mumford & Sons, straight from London, is fairly new to the music scene, having formed in 2007. However, their chemistry as a group and talent as musicians could easily lead you to believe that they have been playing with each other for decades. Their instruments range from brass to small string, creating an amazingly rich sound that truly tells a tale. It's like trying to read 5 books at once. There is so much going on that its hard to just key in on one detail. Each song is very dense and hearty, but can definitely leave you with a hungry with a sense of adventure. That's probably because of the mandolin. It just gives off such a great folksy shanty type of tone that makes you want to run around in a corn field with no direction. Well, that's just me I suppose. These guys certainly seem to speak to my more hidden rebellious nature, so I'm curious to see what happens if I listen to them too much. Havoc may ensue. Husbands, lock up you children and wives. Overall, it is undeniable the talent that these guys have. Their harmonies are amazingly tight, and they are true virtuosos of their craft. From what I can see, they dont seem to be hitting the states anytime soon, so unless you plan on travelling to Sweden or Germany anytime soon, you may not be seeing them live for a while. But oh well, c'est la vie. I guess until then I'll have to settle for YouTube videos. So take a seat, buckle up, and set on down the rough and tumbling road of British folk in the good hands of Mumford & Sons.





Ramble on,
AllTheFancyWicker

0 comments:

Post a Comment