Honey Clusters of Pop

Friday, July 2, 2010
So, keeping with the theme that accounts for one half of this project's name, the mainstream, I decided to feature a guy I found back in 2008 by the name of DJ Earworm. He's a mash-up king in today's music scene, and has caught on quite a good deal in the club scene. For the past 3 years, he's made it a project to compile all the top hits over the past 12 months, and roll it up into a tightly packed single that is actually very well crafted. Now, there will be plenty of other mash-up artists featured here, because they are actually some of my favorites and I feel that any artist that can take an stale song, brush it off, and give it a whole new vibe is definitely one to be checked out. And to be completely honest, it's becoming quite the craze lately. People don't just want Katy Perry anymore, they want it mixed with Jay-Z. They don't just want Kid Cudi, but they want him to the backtrack of Journey. As I said, I'll be touching on this more with other mash-up artists as we go along. It's certainly not for everyone, but it's undeniably on the uprise. Tastes aside, the two songs below basically encapsulate the past 18 months of pop and R&B music hits. It's a time capsule that we basically forgot to bury and instead got immediately too nostalgic to let go. They certainly keep you guessing, and you'd be surprised how well these all fit together! Without further delay, I give you the time-travel, turn-table stylings of "United States of Pop ('09-'10)"



0 comments:

Post a Comment