Taking White Noise Off the Blacklist

Friday, August 13, 2010
And now for something completely different.

For those of you who know me well, I am a huge mashup fan. And for those who dont, I tried to begin clueing you in a few posts below when I introduced DJ Earworm. They are by far one of my favorite things to listen to, most likely because of my very broad tastes in music. I like nearly everything. And if you find the right mashup artist, they give you everything! A little hip hop, a little rock, a little folk, a little swing. A little bit of just about anything, if you find the right song. And more than anything else, mashups are the perfect medication for anyone with "Musical ADD", or MADD as it will now be referred to as. I prescribe them to anyone who complains that they cannot sit through an entire album without flipping, skipping, or fast forwarding through it. And after completing a quick listening treatment, their lives are forever changed. In today's society we sometimes need music that keeps up with us. Don't get me wrong, if all music were to turn to this, I'd be running for the hills. But this one unique genre is great for curing those impatient tendencies to continuously change songs. It does the work for you! There you go world, one step closer to becoming a completely automated society.

Impending doom of laziness aside, this posts artist is the mix mastermind himself, White Noise. Now, I had found him during the summer of my freshman year when I was Googling mashups on the inter-tube, and pretty much just stumbled across him. It actually brought me to his MySpace Music page, which I was pretty much gonna just skip over because let's me honest, not very much good music is featured on MySpace Music. It just seems to have that vibe that screams, "Hey, this probably sucks but I'm going to post it anyways, so get over it! Korn rulez! Bam Margera fo' lyfe!" But maybe that's just me. Either way, once I took a listen, I was definitely blown away. He has some great talent, and is definitely comparable with the greats such as Girl Talk and Milkman. He first started with two song mashups, but has now moved onto seamless albums that contain hundreds of different songs each. All the songs match up very well, and the number of genres that are represented in his work is very impressive. From todays hits, to 80's synth pop, to 70's soul, to 90's grunge. It's all there. I highly recommend downloading every one of his albums, as each one is great and has it's own vibe and theme. Spoiler Alert, one of his newest albums, mixes dialogue from popular movie plot twists into the music, and his most recent album Disregard Females, Acquire Currency takes song titles and puts a little Olde English twist on them. In the end, it was hard to pick two videos to post, because he has so many good songs, but I figured these two show off his talent and versatility well. So to all those self-diagnosed with a case of MADD, pop this pill, down a glass of water, and let the active ingredients of mashup mastery work their magic.





Ramble on,
AllTheFancyWicker

0 comments:

Post a Comment