Alright, well I just gave you one side of music. The fun, light, party atmosphere that music can create. A mix of everything, fancy-free and upbeat. I love it, because it can really help take your mind off things and just put you in the right mood, whether or not there is any actual substance to it. Just some words and a catchy backbeat. Because all music certainly doesn't have to have a meaning or purpose. But when it does, man, it can hit you, and it can hit you hard. Music is expression, and when a talented artist comes around, strips down to bare bones, and leaves their emotions in plain view for all to see, its one of the most intriguing forms of expression out there. You just seem to connect with that person, and have no clue why or how. But if an artist is so passionate and open with their craft, the connection can happen all too easily. To the point where you could listen to that artist a thousand times an very get tired of them. Matt Anderson of New Brunswick, Canada is one of those artists for me.
As a fellow guitar player, I am just absolutely amazed by this guy. For the longest time I have heard the word virtuoso, but never really knew how to apply it. I mean I guess for guys like Jimi Hendrix and Neil Pert, I've always admired their ungodly talents as musicians. But I always tend to question how much the technology and equipment their instruments helped them along to sounding that way. But Anderson, on the other hand, is stripped down to the bare bone. His voice and his acoustic guitar, and I swear I wouldn't want anything else from him. From the moment he starts playing, it's captivating. It's not even like he's playing the music. It's like by some divine miracle, the music just passes through him like he is the messenger of a greater power. Do you think I like this guy? If you answered yes, you are definitely on the right track. To me Anderson is the essence of soul. The way he performs, thoroughly enjoying himself and feeding off the energy of the crowd, just helps everyone to connect with him on a very personal level. It's just seems that if he were to perform in a bar lounge for the rest of his life, that he would be the happiest guy alive, so long as he got to share his music.
I emailed him and had a little back and forth conversation with him. He's a very friendly guy and truly has a love for music. Just a very genuine and down to earth guy. I've been looking to go to one of his shows for forever, but sadly the closest he's come to around me so far was VT, and I was busy that weekend. So I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the next available concert. He is just one of those guys I know I just need to have a beer with before I die. I need to learn his secrets! Either way, below are two videos, one of him playing one of my all time favorite songs "Wagon Wheel" and another of him playing "Ain't No Sunshine". They are definitely two different sides of the spectrum and show off how well this guy covers rustic music, from folk to blues. With the immense amount of soul and life that Anderson pours into each one of his songs, I will forever continue to be a fan, and I hope you become one as well. But I'd love to know what you think! So on that note, park yourself on that barstool, order a couple rounds, and enjoy a healthy shot of Canadian soul courtesy of Matt Anderson.
If It Didn't Before, Canada Now Has SOUL
Posted by
AllTheFancyWicker
at
7:38 PM
Friday, August 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Culprit:
The Mission:
This blog is for everyone. The metal-heads, the banjo-pickers, the free spirits, the classic rock groupies, the alternative thinkers; everyone deserves a say, and everyone should bask in the limelight. I will be updating this blog as often as possible to bring you the music I have discovered, as well as the music that others have discovered. Do you want to be a part? All you have to do is comment! Have some music that you'd like to see shared? Just email me your latest and greatest and I'll be sure to post it for all to see!

2 comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_e0I05VSc0
this is by far his one of his best, it should be posted here too
Great find! Can't believe I hadn't come across this one yet! I'll post that one up as well in a bit.
Post a Comment